Monday, April 27, 2009

Thunder shudders shaking branches

Something beautiful I experienced today:

I took the girls outside to play in the rain puddles, to look for bugs, to traipse the little rivers of rain running along curbs in our neighborhood. We walked along the curb in front of our house; I held Violet's hand while Mad ran ahead, kicking up the water, arms outstretched beside her. Suddenly she let out a tremendous screech of elation, "MAMA!" She turned to face me and ran as fast as she could. "MAMA, I FOUND A SNAAAKE! I GRABBED IT!" Her face was an utter paroxysm of joy.

It turns out, it was a little pink worm. "That's really cool, Mad," I told her. "It's a little pink worm, though, not a snake. They live in the ground and like to come out when it rains."

She stared at it seriously for a moment. "That is a worm snake," she said decisively. "I found a cool worm snake, Mama!"

Listening: Pictures and Sound, "It's You"

No comments:

Post a Comment