Friday, April 17, 2009

The wind is trying to tell you something

Something beautiful:

Driving in the downpour, in the loud, cozy darkness of gray, windows shut tight everywhere, doors closed, people tucked in at home. Neko Case's "People Gotta Lot of Nerve" is on and it's the perfect soundtrack for this day. We drive by the Hudson Family Barber Shop, and it's a warm, glowing gem in the gloom, packed with men getting haircuts in old-fashioned barber chairs. The barber shop pole by the door spins blue, red and white.

Else:

My head had just settled into my pillow last night when the name for the novel I have yet to write popped in my head. And the first line of the novel. And the opening scene. Lights have been dim lately. It's a good time to start something.

And:

Madeleine ran to me this morning, holding her hands up. "Mama!" She shouted. "I can't open the door! My hands are too shashy!" "Shashy?" I echoed. "Yeah," she said. "They can't open the door!" Why the word "shashy" doesn't already exist in our lexicon, I don't know, but I'm glad Mad invented it.

Listening: The Coach and Four, "girls arms redux"

No comments:

Post a Comment