Friday, May 1, 2009

It's all going on without you

Because I can't think of anything more beautiful than watching her grow:

Madeleine, lately, is this endless well of unbridled energy and extremes, full of questions, answers and demands. I see her soaking up everything with her curious eyes, can see things shifting and clicking in and out of place there, and it is, frankly, a little terrifying. She's moving so fast and I feel like I'm spinning in place and I can't keep up.

I sense her core, still developing, slipping out of my grasp, even while I frantically reach for it, understanding that there are so many lessons to learn and aware that I can never teach them all. Then the core is back and everything is solid again. I feel sure of the things I can show her, and unafraid of what I can't.

And then it changes again.

My sweet girl, I love watching you grow. But you're doing it so fast, and pulling me along for the ride. I'm doing all I can to hold on, and all I can to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment